Wednesday, October 17, 2012

One Week.

Well. It's been one week since the birth of my daughter, Hadassah! Well, technically it will be one week at 8:56 pm. And there is a lot to update, and I think I might be too candid. If so, I'm sorry. So without further ado:

We went in for our appointment on Wednesday of last week, they did an ultrasound and found out that she had flipped sometime during the week and was now breech. They also found that the amniotic fluid was low, so they immediately shipped us off to the hospital for a c-section... without explaining a lot. Which really freaked me out. By the time we got there, they had prepped my room and were finding a time for the surgery. I hadn't ever had surgery before so I was just a lot nervous and scared. Not to mention my only experience with anesthesia had not been a pleasant one (wisdom teeth removal, anesthesia resulting in a panic attack. Not a great experience.)

So they set my c-section for 8:30 pm (at the time it was about 4:30 pm, but we had eaten right before the appointment and they had to wait some hours after I had eaten). In the end, they wheeled me into the room at 8:15pm. I was getting a little panicky already, as it was my first surgery. Jonathan was amazingly supportive, and absolutely amazing. Here he is pre-c-section:


The anesthesiologist was great. He was funny and eased my nerves. The nurses were great, too, trying to calm me. In the end when the spinal kicked in, it really freaked me out and my lungs felt too heavy to breathe. I panicked. :/ But the anesthesiologist really helped me by telling me what was going on in my body, and assuring me that if I could talk, I could breathe. Jonathan came in, and could see I was struggling, and I think him just being there really helped me. It was a comfort being able to know he was there. I completely forgot what I was there for until they said "it's a girl!" and I started asked Jonathan if he could see her. He couldn't because she was still behind the blue clothe, but he updated me as soon as he could see her. Here is my first glimpse of her:


Totally took the panic away. And then she and Jonathan wisked away to get her cleaned up and checked out, while I got stitched up and put together, and then went to recovery for an hour. It was a long while until I could feel my extremeties. And they moved me into my room with my little girl beside me, and my wonderful husband following along!

Apparently because she was breech, she had her feet up by her head and her hips are a little loose, so she has to be in a brace for a few months (the time depends on how fast the hips correct themselves and develop). It makes changing diapers a little more difficult, but otherwise she doesn't seem to mind it.

The hospital stay was not long, but those nights felt really weird with her waking us up, and my not being able to move around much... learning and not always succeeding in nursing and trying to wake her up to eat when all she wanted to do was sleep. It was really frustrating being worried she wasn't eating and when she would just fall asleep when I would try to nurse. (Unfortunately this continued until we came home.) That being said, there were really good times of awe, just looking at our baby and loving her:


The hospital stay wasn't even a full 48 hours (the apparent norm for c-sections). We went in Wednesday night and were out on Friday afternoon. Everyone was really surprised that I wasn't hurting a lot, and could walk around pretty well. I'm still a little sore on my muscles above my inscision, but doing well. So we went home:

At home my hormone levels really took a turn for the worst, getting me really depressed and leaving me feeling empty. It didn't help that we were always panicking by how much she was sleeping, how little she was eating, and the frustration with breast feeding, which made me more depressed. We finally had to supplement with formula so she wouldn't get dehydrated. And then I got a pump, and we have been interchanging the breastfeeding that the bottle feeding as she allows. It's still a little disappointing sometimes, but I'm just glad she is eating regularly. I don't think it's good for me to worry too much about breast or bottle or formula or whatever, because it just really gets me down (and I'm not even totally sure why it means anything to me to begin with)-- and a depressed mommy isn't any good to a new baby. I'm already fighting baby blues from hormones, I shouldn't be worrying about the other stuff as long as the doctor tells me she is healthy! We go to the pediatrician today, so more updates after that!

3 comments:

  1. Erin,

    It sounds like everything you are going through is very normal! What a blessing from God a healthy baby Hadassah has arrived safe and sound! Yea!! What a precious darling girl. :) You and Jonathan will make GREAT parents.

    The best thing you can do right now is 2) Trust God and lean on Him for strength and calmness from fear and anxiety. Prov. 3:5,6 + "He will give perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him." 2) Be patient with yourself. Your mind is foggy due to lack of sufficient sleep, hormones that make you feel crazy (at least that was my experience all 4 times I had babies!!), and everything is new and almost painful (hurting tummy, hurting breasts, hurting head from all the hormonal crying that gives a headache:(, and hurt feelings when the baby doesn't eat as much as you think she should or could...) :P 3) Be patient with Hadassah because this life is all new to her, too, as well as to you. She will sleep a lot her first 2-3 weeks, then you will see her become more interactive, and settle into more of a routine with her eat/sleep cycle.

    Life will resume a *new* normal very soon. Know you are not "going it alone." All mommas band together around new ones to send cyber hugs:) and offer an encouraging word. During this time you will become your own hero! GO MOM!!!! :)

    Also, I am so proud of you for breastfeeding!! Of course, formula gets the job done, as well, but I love the way God made a baby to be nourished. Such a special bonding time with your baby...

    Take care of yourself and enjoy your babymoon! Sweet little Hadassah will grow up before your very eyes and you will miss these first days of tinyness and "firsts." :) Although you won't miss the soreness from your c-section:), nor the crazy hormonal swings, it will pass, and you soon will "feel" normal again. Good for you for recognizing it as hormones trying to reregulate post-birth. HANG IN THERE, Girl!

    Love and hugs from Georgia!!

    Your cuz,
    Rebekah H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pictures... especially of you in the car - so cute! so sorry for the struggles along the way. mostly though i want to salute what your cuz, Rebekah, said. lean into him, enjoy the ride, and remember you'll be constantly amazed by how becoming a mommy also makes you a hero - you'll surprise yourself in a million small & big ways every day! wise woman. ;)
    fyi: you might find some encouragement & support if you google "laid back nursing method". hope it helps.
    also, don't forget to take a picture a day... ;)
    (((HUGS))) to you all from the east side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,

    I just wanted to leave you a note of encouragement. Everything that you are experiencing is NORMAL! :) The anxiety of the C-section, the depression, struggling with the breastfeeding, the sleeping a lot.....ya'll are going to be wonderful!

    I know things are stressful, but God has a plan in this. Cut yourself some slack! :D

    Life will never be the same again, but that's good.

    Isaac and I will be praying for ya'll.

    Love and prayers,
    Isaac and Rebekah Jones

    ReplyDelete